Wednesday, January 8, 2014

January 8: Wardrobe Cliff Notes

Allow me to set the stage:

- Today, it’s still super cold here. It’s winter. It’s Iowa. It’s cold, right? Not Polar Vortex cold, but nothing to sneeze at, either.
- I worked in the box (my office). The parking situation leaves something to be desired. It takes me longer to park in the garage and walk into the box than it does to get to the box.
- We've recently moved our desks to a side of the building that is exposed to gusting prairie breezes – it’s brisk. Not exposed to the elements brisk but I’ve considered bringing in a stadium blanket. And I’m generally too warm.

Anyway, all these conditions led me to wear pants today. With flats. I was asked no less than six times if I was feeling ok. Including by a stranger I see in the hallway every day for years, but with whom I've never spoken prior to today. Which leads to our wardrobe discussion.

Here is a basic truth about me: I’m a dress girl. I own a ridiculous amount of dresses and shoes. Not Carrie Bradshaw caliber, but certainly I’m a worthy adversary on a Midwest level. I love dresses. I love to twirl. I love to sparkle. I ride my bike with a dress on. I hike in dresses. My favorite sleepwear is a chemise. I am a girlie girl.  

So here’s my wardrobe hierarchy, which is a super easy indicator of my mood, at a glance:

- Wearing a dress and heels: Super happy day. I’m cloud nine material. This is my bread and butter state of mind. My default wardrobe, if you will.
Wearing a dress with flats: It’s a great day, but I could use a free coffee at the Starbucks drive-thru.
Wearing pants and heels: Things could be better. Better make it a coffee and some chocolate.
Wearing pants and flats: Stop the presses. Mama isn’t happy.


Today was more necessitated by weather than mood, but I will admit a few extra cups of coffee or a stray dark chocolate would not have been misplaced. This song makes me happy. Perhaps I'll put on some heels while I dance to it to better elevate my stature and my mood...



2 comments:

  1. How did I know that was the song of the day? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would you believe I've been compiling a shoe inspired playlist for my iPod? Suggestions welcome!!

      Delete