Saturday, January 25, 2014

January 25: New Gems

One of my greatest delights in life is to discover new music. They say change is the only constant, and while that may be true, life can at times feel uninspired. That may be the January blues talking. Get back to me in Spring for a pulse check…

We live in an era where we seem to recycle even our entertainment. Movies. Music. Television. I’d rather watch The West Wing on Netflix than anything current on TV. Except Jon Stewart. I adore him. Google "remakes in 2015" – I dare you. It reads like my youth. Even fashion recycles itself. We are in the 80s again. I see Flashdance worthy attire at work often. Few mullets, however, thank heavens.

There are still moments of brilliance. It’s why listening to a new artist who piques my interest is such a rare treat.

Last night, a friend shared Pink Martini with me. Music is powerful. It can stir up feelings inside us. It can transport us to a moment in time, or help us mentally escape our present. Did I mention I’m a bit stir crazy of late? One too many polar vortexes, perhaps?

Pink Martini feels like spring in Paris to me. Seated at a sidewalk table in a bistro. Noshing a decadent pastry with a cup of cafĂ© blacker than the night. People watching. Glad I don’t have a little dog as I watch the passerby’s step in their poo.

Today I’m sitting in a beam of sunlight in my kitchen nook, sipping coffee, listening to Pink Martini and flipping through Jung’s catalog dreaming of planting my spring garden. It’s not Paris, but it’s wonderful.


No comments:

Post a Comment