Wednesday, January 29, 2014

January 29: Freshman Talent Show

At Cornell, the Freshman always put on a talent show for the other students. It’s tradition. The show is held in King Chapel (where I auditioned for my scholarship). The social groups sit together and loudly heckle and praise the performers. (Cornell has social groups rather than nationally affiliated frats or sororities).
My freshman year I performed in the show with the choir. We sang The Carpenter’s Close to You. It was hot. I still recall a group of Newts draped over the balcony where we exited the stage yelling at us and holding up numbers as they judged us. It was sheer terror meets exhilaration.

My sophomore year, a few boys got together and performed this song. Eddie Vedder is another of my musical loves. You'll hear more of his this year. With Pearl Jam. Solo. With friends on compilations. I have a pretty strong Eddie fetish. 

Interesting tidbit: Did you know Chris Cornell wrote the song and intended to sing the part Eddie's known for, but couldn't hit the low notes? At rehearsal, Eddie took over the mic and owned that song. It became the duet we all know and love today, featuring two of my favorite performers of the 90s.



No comments:

Post a Comment