Saturday, January 11, 2014

January 11: Ode to Rituals

A note on this blog posting: I asked my talented friend Stacey Kolars to provide photos to accompany today’s topic. Stacey lives in rural Iowa and captures the whispered beauty of my state effortlessly. All birdie pics that follow are courtesy of Stacey and her talented eye. Awe inspiring.



Saturday mornings have a basic ritual that consists of a Pyrex mug of coffee (the big one – regular coffee mugs are too dainty for my needs), my kitchen nook (with skylights and a full view of the backyard), and my bird feeders. I walk in a zombie state from my bedroom toward the kitchen to brew a pot of coffee. I snuggle Aria on the couch, where she is absorbed in morning cartoons, until it’s ready. I fill the Pyrex. I settle in for a little music and bird watching.



I’ve been in my home for over 7 years now – moving to Des Moines in the midst of a divorce. It’s a 1916 Craftsman, which means I always have a project list longer than my arm and a budget for paint rather than bathroom renovations. I adore this equation, irrational as it is. My home suits me. My neighborhood uplifts me. I chose well.

I have made big and small changes to both the house and yard. Because I’m sitting in my nook with my mug o’ coffee, I’ll introduce you to my backyard and its journey toward becoming mine.



The yard was a hodgepodge of old wood chips from a rotten play set. It had those massive railroad ties used for raised bed gardens that contained weeds. I have a walnut tree which my squirrels adore (and use as a weapon) but which is rather unforgiving if you want basics like grass in your yard. There was a mulberry that took up space but mostly just hung over the neighbor’s garage ominously. The fence was an old chain link number that had seen better days. In short, it was like most old home yards. Not going to make a Better Homes cover anytime soon.

I put a curvy garden along one fence line, incorporating flowers, herbs and annual veggies along with a bevy of bird feeders in this space. I had the mulberry removed. I planted a dwarf cherry tree, a few columnar apple trees, a grape vine and some blueberry bushes. The rotten railroad ties were hauled away. Last spring I had a stamped concrete patio put in (it's curvy too!), followed by a new fence with a little trellis along the side of the house. It has changed how I use my backyard. On warmer days, I have my coffee on the patio. I read a book with a glass of wine after work. I entertain friends. I don’t just work in the backyard. I live in it.



Back to today, where I’m in my kitchen nook enjoying my morning coffee ritual. The bird feeders are full and the show is in progress. I don’t know that I had the patience or appreciation for the beauty of nature in my youth. I have always loved the outdoors, but sitting still for an hour or two to watch birds alight to feeders might have killed me in my 20s. Or might have seemed charming for a good 10 minutes. I was more kinetic. Now, it’s soul food to accompany morning coffee.

My favorite feeder is one of those suction cup numbers that is stuck right to one of my nook windows. Chickadees always find this feeder first. The nuthatches follow. Then come the cardinals. A flight of doves picks up the seeds that fall to the ground. Occasionally a blue jay comes in to bully the bunch. I have some very aggressive squirrels who sometimes climb my stucco, launch themselves at the feeder and bring it down to patio level for a good nosh. I should get upset with them, but honestly admire their determination. They are likable deviants. Any creature who can withstand the bitter winter challenges deserves an easy win now and again. We do get owls, such as this barred fellow, and on occasion a hawk. There are days when the backyard can feel very National Geographic.


A glimpse into my little world. I hope this Saturday greets you with joy, all.



No comments:

Post a Comment