Tuesday, January 7, 2014

January 7: Musical Comfort

Aria’s been down for the count for a few days with a fever that ebbs and flows. She’s been napping several times per day, which is rare in our world. If you are a parent, you know how horrific it is when your little one is not healthy. As the tallest 10 year-old in her school, Aria is typically a bigger eater than her mama. (Calories are lost on the young). Since she’s been sick, it’s all I can do to slip a few calories into her. This afternoon she finally rounded the corner.

How did I know we were out of the woods? She asked for butternut squash / kale / chicken soup. And wanted to play Monopoly together. And grabbed me to tango across the living room. Which got me thinking about something that is a standard within our family culture. And how our own culture is probably nuts for many yet suits us to a T.

It’s like this: Our world often resembles a musical. We are sort of a Glee / Wicked mash-up with a side of The Sound of Music. We sing around our home. A lot. And dance. All the time. Music is something that makes my home feel like home to me. (It is no coincidence that I find myself blogging about music. It’s lifeblood to me).

If we can have comfort food, can we not also allow for comfort music? I cannot describe how many hours I spent rocking Aria while singing her everything from You Are My Sunshine to A Case of You. I sang to her in the car when she was a baby and her seat had to face away from me in the backseat putting her firmly out of reach. My voice was a connection to remind her she was safe. We sang songs in the tub, using floating plastic dolphins that each played a musical note when bopped on the head to compose songs and Baby Einstein plastic books that taught body parts while I demonstrated melodies. Music has been a cozy blanket wrapped around my daughter throughout her life.

So as she has been sick and I’ve been fretting over her dropped caloric intake, I turned to this old standard. Musical medicine. From the time Aria transitioned from my milk to cereals, fruits and veggies until she was about 4, I sang her this song at nearly every meal we shared. It made her giggle with delight. It made me feel all “Yes We Can” WWII woman. It became a tradition like saying “Come Lord Jesus” was in my youth. It was what you did when it was time to eat. You sang.

I learned this song from Dinah’s rendition but couldn't find her on Spotify. So today I'm serving a double helping of Shoo Fly Pie. Enjoy!




{Foodie bonus: Here’s the recipe I use for our soup:  Chicken / Kale / Butternut Squash Soup

Hint: I make kale chips (cut up kale pieces; toss with olive oil, sprinkle with salt; bake at 350 for 8 minutes) to put in the soup. It really makes the kale pop and brightens the soup. This hint is kid approved – Aria loves kale because of this soup.}


2 comments:

  1. I'm betting Aria's mom carries a tune much better than my kids' mom but fortunately the little ones don't know the difference. It's still mom's voice. When my oldest was little the bathtub song usually was "Sit Down, You're Rockin' the Boat". You've met her. You know why.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! And such a great song for her. Kids just love singing - they don't care about tone or skill. I think the acoustics in the bathroom are best anyway!

    ReplyDelete