Monday, January 6, 2014

January 6: Homage to Hearty Souls

My freshman year at Cornell College, my roommate was from International Falls. She had the Minnesota accent. The fair skin and gorgeous blue eyes. The Scandinavian ancestors. And a plug-in hanging out the front of Ducky (her car). I wasn't familiar with having to plug your car in so it’d start. Iowa’s cold but apparently not THAT cold.
 
One block break (it’s a Cornell thing – send your kids there. I promise they’ll thank me for it), Kim and I ventured north to visit her family. When we left Mount Vernon, it was warm. Shorts and t-shirts warm. When we arrived at her parent’s home? Not so much. I don’t remember the exact temperature difference anymore. College was a few years ago. Like 5. Or maybe 10. Ahem…. So I’ll just say it was 30 to 40 degrees variant from mid-Iowa to northern Minnesota. It was like entering a new world without getting a passport stamped.
 
We are shut in today (it’s a cold day, not a snow day for Aria’s school). I was thinking of the hearty and gorgeous souls who live up at the tip top of the continental US and who touched my life so profoundly in such a short period of time.
 
This song is only appropriate.

2 comments:

  1. A cold day today (and tomorrow) for us as well.

    Another version of "Life in a Northern Town" http://vimeo.com/5419532

    This and their version of Matt Nathanson's "Run" (with Matt) are honestly my favorite tracks from that album. A new take on a nostalgic favorite is like coming home via a different route -- familiar yet surprising and fresh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll check that out. Love the analogy. The first time I heard Jeffrey Gaines's version of In Your Eyes I was almost affronted. Then I listened again. And you are right - it brings you home via new scenery. xo to you.

      Delete