Thursday, January 2, 2014

January 2: The Thursday that felt like a Monday...

Today was for me, as for many of you, my first day back to the grind after a glorious holiday break. It was not a seamless re-entry into my world of conference calls and spreadsheets. I had over 200 emails to read through and a host of meetings to attend with no grace period to re-boot my brain after a few weeks of over-indulgent holiday inspired behaviors. Such as forgetting I own an alarm clock. Or that chocolate cloud cake isn’t intended for breakfast. Or that my daughter does in fact own clothing other than her Christmas jammies. If we’re talking microwave versus crockpot rates of warming something up, today was definitely a zapper for my brain.
 
A little background about my work path: Although I was a music major in college (with my sights set on a music therapy gig), I ended up leaving school after a few years to chase a different dream. More on that some other time, preferably over drinks. I finally got ambitious enough to complete my degree somewhere in the fray that was my 20's. I worked full time days and attended classes at night to finish a Management Information System major / Business minor with sniper-like focus on obtaining a “career” rather than the random but oh-so-fun jobs I had held throughout my 20's. <end career back story>
 
All of this intentional education, life experience and a healthy dose of good fortune brought me to my current role as a business systems consultant (a what’s it now?) writing business requirements for a mortgage origination system. High glamour? Not so much. Feeds my insatiable creative appetite? Nope. I mostly starve. On the plus side the work is stable – something I appreciate greatly as a single mom, the company treats me amazingly well, and I have a bevy of co-workers whom I adore. I’m content (and blessed) in this realm of my life for now.
 
That said, my work requires all the synapses of my brain to be firing at full throttle. Cars run on gasoline. I run on coffee. I could wax poetic about coffee (just saying the word makes me clasp my hands to my heart)…

Blue Mountain&French Roast&Costa Rican&Sumatra&Kona&&&&&&…..

…but I think Sarah’s sultry voice does my nectar of choice far more credit than my humble words. Today brings an ode to coffee.
 
 
Added bonus: Here’s the chocolate cloud cake recipe. Go ahead. Whip this up and have it with a cup of your favorite brew. Serve it for breakfast – highly advisable!




2 comments:

  1. Music + recipes . . . this is definitely what the world has been missing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Add fellowship with wonderful friends, and I think it could be the secret to world peace. Well, that and coffee.

      Delete