Friday, January 3, 2014

January 3: A Cat Named Naomi

I had a milestone moment last night. I adopted Naomi (aka Baby Nay Nay), our tuxedo wearing kitty, last June. When we met little Nay, she was hiding in a box inside a cage at the ARL. She was trembling. In the meet and greet room, she tucked herself into my daughter Aria’s lap and wrapped her tail around her arm. We were goners.


 
We brought her home that same day. Nay Nay took up residence in Aria’s room where she had a penchant for hiding inside pillow cases. She liked being small, hidden. She has evolved in the past six months so that she will meow to greet us and follows us incessantly around the house. She sleeps at the foot of my bed and loves to crawl under the covers to sleep between my legs. She has the quietest purr that can only be heard by placing your head to her chest.
 
Last night, little Nay came up from the foot of the bed to spoon with me. She nudged my hand until I awoke. She was demanding love. And she purred loudly. Oh – she purred. It was glorious. Rescue animals can be a lesson in patience and little victories. Last night was one of those large victories that sustain me.
 
I was reflecting on how Naomi is learning to trust again. Learning to be loved and give love. Seeking a safe place to practice these skills. Aren't we all really? Many say safety is an illusion, but it doesn't stop us from searching for it.


2 comments:

  1. Animals have such a vast capacity for forgiveness and giving us imperfect humans another chance to not fail them. You and Aria are such a safe and loving place to land.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Naomi seems like low lying fruit after Pixie, but we love both our girls. And do our best to be patient with them as they learn trust again. It's an honor every time they reach these milestones!.

      Delete