Wednesday, January 1, 2014

January 1: Creating a Soundtrack

Happy 2014!

A new year. 365 blank pages begging for a pen to fill them with adventures bigger and better than any that have come before. I grew up in an era where creating adventures included a mixed tape – sometimes with songs recorded right off the radio. When I got my first iPod, it was like a return to my youth. Shuffling songs delights my soul.

In a life with experiences that are transient, often fleeting, music is a constant friend. It can bring back a memory from years ago to nest safely in your heart. It can effortlessly express feelings we cannot find words to relate. It abides.

In an effort to strengthen my own writing muscles and track the experiences of my life, I am going to share a song per day this year. A song that represents my day in the box (my workplace). Or accompanies a meal I am making. Or triggers a memory I’d love to share. I’m going to create a soundtrack with 365 songs that represent my 2014.

I am thankful you have joined me for this journey. I would love to learn of your soundtrack also along the way.

January 1: I had many thoughts on my first song of the year. I considered U2’s New Year’s Day (no explanation required). Perhaps the first song I played on vinyl (either Zeppelin’s Tea for One or You’re the One I Want from the Grease double album – not sure which was first spun). A Patty Griffin tune (I adore her) to give you a taste of my music meanderings. I decided to share my most played song on my iTunes playlist – it seemed appropriate in so many ways.

2014 begins with Mr. Colin Hay. Happy New Year, all!

Andrea




4 comments:

  1. Looking so forward to this musical journey with you! I should have an awesome playlist by the end of the year (which saves me hijacking your iPod on my next visit) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would love to create a custom soundtrack for you ladies and your road trips! Adore you and am ever grateful for your support.

      Delete
  2. my sister pointed me to your blog. i recently went to a spoken word evening, where the storyteller used his old records to set the scene for his reminisces. (he had fully embraced the 60s and everything that went with it.) it was powerful and although his music was at least a generation before mine, it definitely got me thinking about how our memories are intertwined with music. just the opening beats of dire straits money for nothing brings to mind speeding along a late summer south dakota stretch of highway on my way to my first semester at college.

    it's a worthy project you've embarked upon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, truly, for the words of encouragement! I think music is incredibly powerful. Love the spoken word concept, as well as the visual of those roads with all that stark beauty. I helped deliver a beagle pup driving along those roads many moons ago.

      Delete