Sunday, January 12, 2014

January 12: Botox Alternatives, Luge Sleds and Movies - Oh My!

Cause:
  • Temperature in the double digits (finally).
  • A new sled received for Christmas that has been taunting us as it sits in the corner of the living room.
  • A disturbing wrinkle on my forehead that seems to have taken up residence. (I have a theory there is no reason to get Botox in the winter months when you live in the Midwest – just go outside. Instant frozen features on exposed skin).
Effect:
  • Sledding!!!
  • Copious amount of hot chocolate consumed.
  • No forehead movement in the foreseeable future. Can I get a woot?
 
Aria, my 10 year-old, and I spent part of Saturday on the sledding hill, testing out the zippiness of her luge sled. The hill was a mix of grass, snow and ice, which made for impressive test runs. 



We came home to a late lunch / early dinner (praise be to the crockpot), warm blankets to snuggle under, and a movie party (Wreck It Ralph). Saturday at 3 PM found us in our jammies doing what we do best - making memories together built upon humble events.
 
I used to find so many ways to feel inadequate as a parent. It’s easy to do. So often our path to connecting with others is built by relating to them. Which can result in comparison. Which is the death of happiness, I swear. Part of my own growth as a mother and person has been to focus not on how everyone else is doing this parenting thing, but how I’M doing it.
 
I have made a conscientious effort as a parent to ensure that our daily bread fills my daughter’s childhood with warm memories. We have special events also (like the trip we took to Disney last June) but I pray she’ll remember our baking together, reading stories every night, and common activities like our sledding this weekend as the fabric of her childhood.
 
I hope your daily bread is equally delicious. 




No comments:

Post a Comment