Monday, February 3, 2014

February 3: Briar Patch Memories

Do you remember this from Out of Africa?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtX9iNlopbk

Oh I adore this movie. Brilliant Meryl. Robert Redford. Sweeping musical scores and stunning scenery. A strong woman taking on new frontiers. Timeless.

Well, I had an online business in Iowa. I was blessed to stay home with Aria when she was 18 months until she was almost 3. I got rather lonely and bored while home. My ex traveled for his job so it was Aria and me 24/7 (even then) until the weekends. When we bought our home, it was in the town where my ex had worked before accepting a new job traveling. I used to commute to Des Moines to work so I didn't have an established friend base there. Conversely, I was used to having the instant community of the workplace and lost that being home. I was used to a busy meeting schedule and work that challenged my brain like taking the ACT every day. I wore dresses every day and had access to fancy coffee on a whim. Raising a little girl in a small(ish) town had challenges and many blessings, but was a lonely affair also.

Anyway, the gist is I was bored.  So during Aria’s afternoon nap time, I created an online company that combined many of my passions. Essentially, I brokered heirloom quality art geared toward children. Furniture, wall art, jewelry, lamps and other décor, lots of amazing art, all made in North America by artists who were living their passion. My business was called Briar Patch Heirlooms. I had about 200 artists on the site that I found at buyer’s markets, art festivals and other venues.


I got the idea for the company while strolling through the Des Moines Art Festival while pregnant. I saw this piece of art with a carousel, and snatched it up. I was thinking it is timeless. It could fit in my daughter’s nursery and transition to her home when she grew up. Then I thought about the surge in compressed wood and lifeless décor that is all made in China.

I wanted to show my daughter that people can choose careers that let them live their passion. I wanted her to understand art doesn't just hang in museums – it’s part of our daily lives. Our greatest currency is our creativity as a nation – I truly believe this. I wanted to engender a love of the arts in my little girl, and in others. And thus Briar Patch was born.
This is Aria’s room today with London Carousel above her bed. To check out Jean-Pierre Weill’s vitreographs, visit: Vitreography


Due to divorce, heading back to work, ongoing court woes (and the legal bills that have accompanied over 7 years in court), the economy shift at the time (which made expendable income a concept more than a spending practice), and a general lack of time, I closed my doors. It felt a bit like failure at the time. From my vantage point now, I’m more proud that I endeavored it than that it ended. I learned so much about being a small business owner. I know what I’d do differently. I know that I’d love to try it again in the future.

I also know that I was right to close the business at the time. There was so much going on in my world during and after my divorce. Moving and buying a new home. Transitioning visitation of Aria from every other weekend to ultimately have her 24/7 once again. Taking on a new role at my job. Dating a boy who I thought was a man somewhere in there. Finding just the right pre-school. You know. Living.

We all know what it feels like to be juggling too much. It’s hard to drop anything. We don’t want to disappoint anyone. We don’t want to fail. I had to let go of something. Some things we have to juggle – we have no choice. Other things are not necessary. The first thing I let go of, the easiest thing that wasn't a must, was Briar Patch. It doesn't take much to turn off a website. I wish the bills associated with it disappeared so easily.

As the years have passed, I have become more and more covetous of my time with my daughter. I realize how quickly time passes, and how rare moments can be. I have become a selective juggler. I no longer judge myself by the amount of things I can keep in the air, but by the quality of the things I hang onto.

There is nothing I treasure more than making memories. This song resounds because it’s so true. So much of our worlds are expendable. Replaceable. Not important. I have become laser focused on what matters. Her name is Aria.



No comments:

Post a Comment