Friday, February 14, 2014

February 14: Being Proven Wrong

I’ll be honest. I expected to write today, “It’s Friday. That is all.” I was somewhat dreading Valentine’s Day. How wrong I was. I love it when I’m wrong. Life has this way of wanting to show me that love always finds a way. That I can scheme and plan and hope and dream, but that life will greet me at every turn with something better, if only I'll surrender my control of it all. Who I am to disagree?

This is me being wrong today. See? I'm still smiling. I'm good at being wrong. (And yes, I wanted to show you that I even wore red in honor of the day).
Signs of love today?

I received texts and messages throughout the day from friends wishing me Valentine’s joy. I often abhor technology and how it’s changing our society and de-evolving our communication skills, but one of the perks is instant access. To hear from a cherished high school friend, be able to see my nephew’s valentine to my sister, to learn that another friend married his love today in Hawaii, these are things I treasure. 

I took a break from conference calls to open a few packages on my doorstep. I had an autographed cookbook from a dear college friend, and a box of chocolates from my dad and step-mom. I promptly opened the chocolate. Life? Saved. Perfect break with a cuppa. My mom sent a Valentine card and treat in the mail. It was like a mini-Christmas. 

I was blessed to join Aria at school for her classroom Valentine’s party. Her valentines turned out really cute:

Her Valentine’s box was her own thing. Aria is obsessed with Club Penguin. These, for those of you who aren't familiar, are puffles all over the box. They are the penguin’s pets. I appreciated her creativity on the project.
At school, the kids ate too much sugar and played bingo with candy hearts. I love being able to see Aria’s friends and how she interacts in the classroom. I do not take it for granted that I can pop in for an hour during the day and then head back to work. It means the world to me to see her class in action, to swing by the principal’s office with a valentine, to walk the halls where my daughter spends her day.

We came home from school to find that our neighbor had left Aria a valentine in our mailbox with this gorgeous card that said our neighborhood was brighter because Aria is in it. We have lived here seven years and this is the first time we have received a kind gesture from this particular neighbor. It brought tears to my eyes – incredibly touched.

The final straw? The one that told me I needed to surrender to love? To continue to let life unfold as it wishes? Flowers with a card that simply read, “You are precious.” No signature. Is there anything more delicious? I think not.
I wish I could include scent on this post. The flowers are heavenly. My house now even smells like love. I could not be more blessed, on Valentine's Day, or just a plain old Friday night. I hope your world is filled with blessings also.

Grace Potter - All You Need Is Love


No comments:

Post a Comment