Thursday, February 13, 2014

February 13: Sweetness

We are wrapping up Valentine preparations here. Tonight, Aria is finishing the Valentine box to bring to her classroom. The Valentines for her classroom kids are all made. We swung by Chocolate Storybook (a local chocolaterie) for her teacher's caramel apple (a tradition we've done for all Aria's teachers on special holidays). 

At the shop, Aria asked me if she could borrow $8. I told her she could, with a smile forming in my heart. Being a single mom means many things. One of those things is that for holidays, if Aria is going to get me a gift, I'm generally with her when she's buying it. Typically paying for it. We've worked out an agreement of sorts for just such occasions. 

I don't ask what she needs the money for, and she tries her best to covertly pay for her goods with me waiting by the door. If she's saved her allowance for my gifts, she'll ask me to save it in my purse and then retrieve it before paying. Her gifting is charming in its transparency. 

We got home from the shop, and she immediately presented me with my chocolates. I asked if she wanted to wait for Valentines to give them to me, and she said she couldn't wait. She loved me so much and wanted to be sure I knew it. She also wanted to be sure I would be her Valentine? 


How could I say no?

This song is called The Three of Us, but to me, it's always felt like my time with Aria. I really don't have words to make the feeling tangible, but it's beauty and peace. And joy. Deep joy.

Ben Harper - The Three of Us


No comments:

Post a Comment