Wednesday, February 26, 2014

February 26: Call Me Florence

I spent my evening with my book club (as a member’s son says, we read wine labels only). We were menu planning for a meal we’ll donate to a local homeless shelter on Sunday. One of our members recently asked if we’d like to do something for a local shelter, and we all agreed it was a good cause. We are donating to Hawthorne Hill. Our meal will feed a few adults and many children. I cannot think of a better cause, or one that warms my heart more than giving children a good meal.

I was reflecting on charitable acts on my drive home from our planning session (which was conveniently held at a restaurant with half price wine bottles on a Wednesday night). 

In my twenties, I found myself single, a college dropout, and without direction. I lived in Iowa City, worked at a radio station, and had abundant free time.

This equation ended up equaling what I term my Florence Nightingale era. I volunteered everywhere I could think of spending my time. Ronald McDonald House hanging out with healthy siblings while parents spent time in the hospital with kids fighting for their lives. Habitat for Humanity pounding nails. Make a Wish Foundation, using contacts made through my job at the radio station to raise money to fund kids dreams. Crisis hotline, answering calls from people desperate for help. 

I find myself far more self-involved in this era of my life. Being a mama takes up more time than I could have imagined in my Florence era. I still do charitable acts, but not with such dedication as I had in my youth. I do more contributing of money or goods than time these days, it seems. 

I find myself humbled in my blessings and more than glad to contribute a meal to some local families who need it. Tacos are on the menu, by the way. And baked goods, of course.

The Florence version of me lived in the radio station era. It was an AOR radio station – album-oriented rock. I went to rock school to study such fundamentals as Pearl Jam (just emerging in that era) and this band. Oh, how I love the Stones.

PS - you almost were served Madonna tonight. Like a Prayer was playing during our wine/planning session. Intoxicating to remember Madge in my youth. But Florence demands the Stones, and who am I to deny a lady in need?



No comments:

Post a Comment