Saturday, February 22, 2014

February 22: Roller Girls

One of Aria’s friends had a roller skating birthday party today. My afternoon was spent in a time warp. 
The roller rink scene hasn’t changed much over the years.  The skates are still a non-descript Carhart-ish tan with orange wheels flashing like caution signs over the waxed boards of the rink floor. The soundtrack still includes YMCA. Kids all dare each other to limbo. The mirror ball and light show are met with ooohs and aaaaahs whenever the lights dropped.

One of my greatest delights is re-experiencing my own childhood through my daughter’s eyes. She was enchanted with skating, despite coming home with a rug burn on her knee from a wipe-out while leaving the carpeted area for the main floor.

There were two roller rinks in my own youth: one in Fort Dodge (about 30 minutes from Pomeroy) and another in Prairie du Chien near my dad’s home in McGregor. Both were heaven for me. Both were rarely visited – a huge splurge for my family. I would go round and round until I had a blister on the ball of my right foot from pushing off on the turns. I would ignore the pain, skating as long as I could. I've always loved the feeling of gliding. 

Do you remember when there were shops that sold t-shirts you could customize with all sorts of iron-on images? I once got to pick out a sky blue t-shirt, have a sparkly rainbow decal ironed onto the front and “Andrea” on the back. This was my roller skating t-shirt. Nothing felt cooler than that shirt. Nothing.

I used to have these metal roller skates that you could strap to your regular shoes. I skated back and forth in front of my home in Pomeroy. The sidewalk was not smooth and the skates were not very effective. My feet fell out of them often. I loved them anyway. They felt like freedom.

This song is the roller rink personified. A bit of youth blended with a bit of today. My favorite. 



No comments:

Post a Comment