Thursday, February 20, 2014

February 20: Fine Art of the Potluck

Today brought a new phenomenon to my world: thundersnow! We went from hail to rain to sleet to snow within a few hours. The thunder mixed with hail was surreal.

To combat the weather, I made a lovely chicken soup. I had a capon breast in the crockpot all day. Do you speak crockpot? It’s almost a religion in my kitchen.


Crockpots are nostalgic, in a way. Part of being raised in a small town church was the potlucks. Those church women know how to cook. Casseroles, jello salads, pies. Oh the pies. Crockpots filled with every imaginable meat dish from little smokies to meat balls. My favorite was always the calico beans.

My mom has never enjoyed cooking. These potlucks were both a culinary feast, but also an exploration of so many foods I would not have been exposed to otherwise.

Otis doesn’t belong at those potlucks, but he does appear often in my kitchen. Aria and I will be sharing a steaming bowl of soup with him tonight. 



No comments:

Post a Comment