Sunday, March 2, 2014

March 2: Goldilocks

A note: Today’s blog is just a collection of random musings from my world. It’s cold. It’s winter. My Facebook feed reads like a tale of disenchantment. I am happy anyway.

It’s bitterly cold today. -6F according to the weatherman - the poor bloke. I would hate to be associated with the weather in any way in Iowa. It’s either too hot or too cold for the residents – the Goldilocks of climates.

We have two kitties: little Naomi (Baby Nay - whom I introduced you to in January and Pixie Pye, our adopted pixie bobcat. Pixie is almost 10, and has the attitude of a cranky old woman. She chooses to ignore winter by sleeping her way through it. 


I would tell you she is plush because she’s stored up for winter. The fact is she’s always plush. Always cranky. Always sleeping. Pixie is a professional sleeper.

Nay has been found snuggling in front of every heat register she can discover. Living room:

Bathroom:

Dining room (this is Nay’s version of “talk to the butt”):

Today finds me busy in a few kitchens.

In a little while, Aria and I will be departing to help my book club make a meal for a local homeless shelter (Hawthorn Hill). It could not be a more perfect day to be reminded of blessings (Goldilocks can control her climate via heat and air conditioning, while noshing from locally grown Honey Crisps and capon/swiss sausages - also locally sourced). Aria had chocolate chip waffles, also. She can afford the carbs.

It is such a small thing to provide one meal for 30 or so people (mostly children). It is something, though.

This morning is all about baking. After our food drop-off at the shelter, we are heading to hang out with some friends and watch the Academy Awards together. We’ll dress to the 9s (ok – maybe to the 7s since it’s snow covered and treacherously cold out there). We’ll bring food. We’ll share magical time with magical friends.

I’m bringing twice baked potatoes topped with heaps of cheese (locally made cheddar) and bacon (you guessed it - local). No photo - I'm not putting it into the oven until later. 

Decadent chocolate cake (we had extra batter so I made a few cupcakes for kicks) 

Caramel corn (I threw it into an angel food cake pan – no idea why but seemed fun). You can’t go to the movies without some form of popcorn, right?

Today is quiet contentment and huge blessings. If I were Goldilocks, I’d say it was just right.



No comments:

Post a Comment