Saturday, March 15, 2014

March 15: New Shoes

Today found Aria and I doing our best to stimulate the economy.  We popped by a shoe shop to pick out a few pairs of shoes for the changing season and Aria's changing shoe size.

10 year-olds seem to sprint through growing. At least mine is. She's nearly 5'5", towering over most of her classmates. She doesn't seem to be bothered by this, and often appears proud. I'm glad angst hasn't set in over being different. 

I was an early bloomer also. I think I was 5'10" by 12 or 13. I was taller than my 5th grade teacher. I remember going to summer camp one year. When I entered the cabin, the girls all hushed, whispering, "The counselor is here" to which I proclaimed, "I'm a kid!". I wasn't as comfortable with it all as Aria appears to be. My shoulders were more rounded than pulled by proudly. 

Aria's always been over the 100% percentile on the height charts. I have often wanted to put a sticker or sign on her that says, "I'm only 3" or similar. Now as she nears adolescence, I want to put other signs around her. Things like, "Behave or lose an arm." "I can't date until I'm 30." Stuff like that.

We bought size 9 shoes for her today. Officially, we can share shoes. Heaven save me, and my budget...

Paolo Nutini - New Shoes



No comments:

Post a Comment