Monday, March 24, 2014

March 24: Catch a Snowflake on Your Tongue

Looking out my window at snowflakes lilting down.

I was reflecting on a March several years ago when my back patio (a stamped concrete affair) was put in. The winter was so tepid that year that early March brought a new patio, garden beds tilled, edged and ready for planting fruits, veggies and flowers, and a new lifestyle of reading books and sipping wine in the out of doors. Heaven. In retrospect, it was the mildest, easiest winter I can recall. Today it is remembered as tropical in comparison to this year’s offering.

I have this walnut tree in my backyard that rivals the Whomping Willow from Harry Potter. When the walnuts begin falling, it’s a bit dicey out back. There are a few branches that extend over my patio. My squirrels are absolute hooligans and like to perch on those branches and throw walnut shells at me while I attempt to lounge.

This past autumn, the tree had an absolute plethora of walnuts on it. I have been here 7 years and had never seen it so covered in bounty. Now, I’ve never really been a country girl. Small town? Yes. Country? No. I don’t subscribe to the Farmers’ Almanac. If I did, however, I would have watched that walnut tree’s production levels and my incredibly plush squirrels and inferred that March 24 would find flakes falling from the sky. I could have budgeted a vacation that included sand, all-inclusive drinks, and more sunshine than I’ve seen in months. I could have bought an industrial shovel, a snow blower, a hearty man, a shorter driveway. Something.

I didn’t do that. Sniff.

My fingers want to dig in the dirt. I want to bring forward bounty from the earth. Farrow is so last season.

I spent a portion of yesterday lovingly caressing my spring dresses in the back of the closet. My soul begs for spring. The skies deliver more winter.


Stevie, I need you. I need you like I’ve never needed you before.



No comments:

Post a Comment