Saturday, March 8, 2014

March 8: From Whence I Come

Have you ever gotten into genealogy? It intrigues me greatly.

I can trace my father’s paternal side back to Germany prior to our Revolutionary War. I had relatives fighting for independence (and buried) in Bucks County, Pennsylvania.

In the 1800s, they made their way to NE Iowa. They became masons building churches around the region. They farmed.  They settled. My cousin lives on their homestead outside McGregor and farms to this day.

My father’s mom had parents from Bern, Switzerland who were Swiss and Italian. I attribute my complexion to my Grandma Troester. She was a beauty, inside and out. Her name was Alta, and she was tall (about 5’10” I believe). A regal woman who lived a hard working and incredibly humble life on the farm. Alta Anderegg married Louis Troester. Here is a blurry version of their wedding photo (note she is sitting - she was a good 3 or 4 inches taller than her husband):

She died when I was only 3. What amazes me about that is how vividly I remember her. Grandma loved me dearly, I could feel it viscerally. She made pies when we would visit. She had the warmest hugs I’ve ever received. I still remember her funeral because it was the first time I saw my dad cry. She had 7 children and many grandchildren. She created a legacy of love. I wish I could hug her again.
On my mother’s side, it’s rumored family our came over on the Mayflower. I have never traced that lineage so I cannot confirm that. There are a whole lot of English and Irish roots within the Moore clan. That I know.

I also know the brief story of how my maternal great-grandma Zelma (I called her Nana) came to McGregor.

Curious about the name Zelma? I was. My Nana was named after a minister who inspired her parents with her fiery prose. Imagine how rare a female minister must have been in the late 1800s. Both my Nana and my gram carry the name. I’ve never met another soul named Zelma. It’s a special name to me. It brings baked goods to my hands, hugs to my arms, and smiles to my heart just hearing it.

Nana grew up within a Quaker family in Ohio. I don’t think it was an easy life, although she didn’t complain about it. She had a brother who served in WWI. She asked him to give her the name of a fella serving on the ship with him and she’d write to him. He gave her Percy Freeman’s name.

Nana wrote. (Nana also was a flapper in Cincinnati at this time, according to her tale and the jewelry she kept to remember a younger, more carefree girl). Percy answered from somewhere around the Philippines. After the war, Percy came to Ohio and scooped my little Nana up in his arms to marry him.
They had great plans to homestead in Wyoming. Imagine living in the era of homesteading... They planned to pass through McGregor on the way, to visit Percy’s family. Percy’s grandfather was a riverboat captain on the Mississippi, ferrying cars from Iowa to Wisconsin. His name was Rob Roy Freeman. How fantastic is that?
Well, Rob Roy was quite a salesman. He convinced Percy to stay in McGregor and help on the River. My mom’s family has been there since. I don’t think it was the grand vision Nana held when she was a young girl in what she called Cincinnatah. But they bought a beautiful farm and made a life.
I lived on this farm from age 3 until 5 when my parents divorced. It was a magical place with an apple orchard, a babbling brook, morels in the spring, and a feeling of home I’ve never had anywhere else. It has an incredibly special place in my heart. My mom rented it for years after the divorce and then sold it when I was 19(ish). I will always regret the loss of it.

Zelma and Percy raised three girls, calling the oldest Zelma after her mother. Percy died the month I was born, and so I never met him. When you are kid, you accept things as is. With today’s perspective, I see that my Nana was alone three decades. It makes me wish I would have made my visits with her longer. That is a lot of alone for one little lady to bare.

Nana lived until I was nearly 30. She always had a crystal dish of candied orange slices on the buffet when we visited McGregor. That buffet is in my dining room today. She taught me to love Louisa May Alcott. She was a tiny woman with understated ways.

My parents hail from McGregor, where they met in high school. I had intended to write about McGregor today. It is such a hidden gem. I guess it feels like in order for you to understand my connection with this little town, first you must understand my soul’s connection with the soil. I am a part of it. I come from it in the basest sense.

Tomorrow I’ll take you to the soaring bluffs and down the mighty Miss. Today, just know that Iowa isn’t all flat, filled with farm land and pigs. It holds beauty. It holds deep roots. 



No comments:

Post a Comment