Wednesday, March 5, 2014

March 5: Constellations

I was reflecting with a friend today how various people can bring out special traits within us. How others can be a mirror for things within us that we lose touch of within ourselves in the hum drum duty of our lives. 

I can be playful, deep dark chocolate serious, refined intellect personified, grass roots granola girl, empathetic assurance, womb of the Earth mama, small town girl, Erin Brockovich: a veritable myriad of Andreas. Each person brings out facets in me. Each Andrea is genuine. Or very much tries to be.

When I was younger, I used to fear I didn’t know myself because I had so many true selves. Some people have a deep rooted understanding of their personality. They aren’t the utility players of the world. They have a grounded home. I also suspect they more often feel they “belong” than us utility players.

When everywhere and nowhere is your home or your people, you are more Ally Sheedy than Molly Ringwald in the Breakfast Club arena. That has been my life experience anyway.

My friend spoke of these people that bring out our various selves - the light they bring and how it reflects a piece of us. Those people come together to form the constellation that is the culmination of all our true selves. Points of light that merge to create beauty. I love that intensely.

“There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.” - Edith Wharton





No comments:

Post a Comment