Thursday, October 9, 2014

October 8: Evolution of a Symbol

When did we rename the pound sign? 

Did Twitter do this? It's a very effective rebranding, I'll grant them that. But icky, too. 

Because honestly, when I hear "hash" I think either of a food item I avoid with extreme prejudice, or cannabis. I don't think of social media. 

What do you see?

#

I still see a pound sign. I don't think "hash tag".

A friend, via Facebook, pointed out that the pound sign was originally simply a "sharp" in musical terms. And so it was. And so it is.

I remember when "pound sign" sounded so very British and distinguished when I first test drove saying it in my middling youth.

I had a band instructor who would always tell me if I got any sharper, I'd have to go to college, during my elementary / junior high flute lessons. A sharp was inside banter. It was witty. It was tied to music, which I loved.

It was....sharp.

Then it became a pound.

Now hash. 

I have spoken before of our de-evolution. This feels like one of them to me. 

I am a #slowadapter, apparently. 

Amos Lee - Windows Are Rolled Down


No comments:

Post a Comment