Wednesday, October 22, 2014

October 21: Juggling

Today was one of those days where being a "grown up" sneaks up on you and horrifies your would-be youthful soul. 

Ani Difranco is performing in Ames tonight. I have a friend who offered me free tickets. She used to date the drummer. She even posted a photo hanging with Ani today out on a patio. 

I. Was. In.

Except that I had to work all day, and am banking my PTO for the end of the year when Aria doesn't have school on Winter Break.

And we had piano lessons.

And math tudor.

And I had to reserve the pool for Aria's birthday party.

And I'm a single mom with 24/7 custody so getting away is not easy. Ever.

And even if I got a sitter, Aria won't go to sleep until I'm home. And she has school tomorrow and needs a good sleep.

And I have to be at an 8 a.m. meeting. Driving back from Ames after the concert would get me home very, very late on a "school night."

And. And. And.

I am not at Ani's concert because I am folding laundry tonight. And doing all the little tiny things that culminate into my dutiful adult existence. The details that make up a life.

I am officially a grown up. It kind of snuck up on me.

This is my favorite Ani song. 

Caution for tender ears. She uses the F word. Quite often. 

Ani Difranco - Untouchable Face

No comments:

Post a Comment