Monday, October 13, 2014

October 12: Gravel Roads

I saw this today on Facebook. 

I did not share it. I hate those posts that make you feel like you have to share them or you'll have bad luck for 7 years, be a non-believer, or simply not validate a person in some way, shape or form.

But I did love the memory this picture stirred up.


When my parents divorced, my dad built an acreage close to our old farm house. 

When we'd go to visit him, he had this big old pick-up truck. And guess where my sister and I rode?

Yep. In the back. 

The gravel road that led to my dad's house had big wavy hills. My dad used to drive a bit fast so we'd catch air as we went over each hill. 

It was a poor kid's version of a roller coaster. The butterflies floating about and tickling my stomach with delight.

We made the mistake of mentioning how fun it was to my mom upon returning from a visit one. Never did ride that roller coaster again, but it sure was a great ride.

This was the song pouring out the window while we road the coaster through those billowing clouds of dust.

You're The Reason God Made Oklahoma - David Frizzell and Shelly West

No comments:

Post a Comment