Friday, October 17, 2014

October 17: Truly Madly Deeply Aria

My heart's song is beginning a new musical journey today. She's taken on the cello!


She currently takes piano lessons. And she wows me. Truly wows me with her creativity and ability to make up music, not just follow the notes on a page. She composes songs and jams with her teacher each week. 

She gives herself permission to create. This should not be under-valued. It takes allowing yourself to make up something that doesn't make sense until you find a groove that pleases your ear. I tend to be self critical, and this can stop the creative process. Aria doesn't do that.

Aria's kryptonite is the unknown. She's the kid who won't try basketball because she can't play basketball. She wants to excel from the moment she begins. This can make trying new things daunting.

When she's a natural, such as with musical endeavors or in water (she's a mermaid), she'll jump right in. 

When I signed her up for soccer the first time? We had hyperventilating. You would have thought I told her she had to swim with sharks. It took some time to get comfortable with the unknown.

Today, I sent her off with a cello and a smile. What a beautiful way to start the day!

I first heard this sonata in Truly Madly Deeply. It's why I wanted a cello. It's why I have a cello that Aria can now take to school to play. And then hopefully teach me (because I got diverted from learning and am now ready to commit). 

J. S. Bach - Sonata for Viola da Gamba and Clavier in G Minor

No comments:

Post a Comment