Thursday, October 16, 2014

October 14: Mixed Tapes

Did you grow up in the era of mixed tapes? I used to make a mixed tape for every occasion.

I liked a boy? Mixed tape.

Road trip to visit my dad? Mixed tape.

Sunny day that inspired me? Mixed tape.

My iPod shuffle delights my soul for this very reason. It's like the ultimate mixed tape. And the tape never, ever cuts off mid-song. 

Mixed tapes in combination with the radio gave me musical ADD. It is rare for me to listen to an album head to tale. I love things blended. And I don't care if it's a choppy transition, as you have noticed from my playlist. My ears love contrast.

When I was a sophomore at Cornell, we went to the Ozarks for Homecoming with my fellow's social group (Cornell's version of a fraternity). We were driving and had a car full of friends along. 

I drew a mixed tape out of my bag, and my beau's roommate began immediately apologizing that we weren't alone for the tape to be heard. 

I just giggled. (I did in fact have an intimate-type mixed tape for later in our hotel, but this tape was fully gears for a car full of fun). 

I put the tape into the deck and cranked up the sound.

This was the kick-off to an amazing road trip.

Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch: Good Vibrations

No comments:

Post a Comment