Friday, October 10, 2014

October 10: Austin, TX

I have to tell you - Austin, Texas sure does have musical talent!! 

Need a few examples? Want to expand your musical pallet?

Patty Griffin is my favorite. Hands down favorite. From any city. She writes songs I wish I had written. She feels how I feel. She brings me along on her journey as a willing participant with the first strum of her guitar.

Janis Joplin. Yes, Janis hailed from Austin. Can you imagine where her career could have gone, had she not died so young? The Queen of Psychedelic Soul was 27 when she overdosed on heroin. I can't imagine the untapped talent lost.

Shawn Colvin hales from Austin. You know her. Sunny Came Home. Yep. She's talented.

Lou Ann Barton. You don't know her. You might want to learn her. She's sassy. 
Lou Ann Barton with Stevie Ray Vaughan - via 1970s

Terry Bozzio. He's a drummer. He most famously drummed for Frank Zappa. He oozes talent.

Alejandro Escovedo. If you don't speak Alejandro, it's really a language you should learn. He's an unreal talent. I saw him in Des Moines once, and happened to see him after his performance. He was attempting to get some BBQ, and I didn't want to interrupt his evening repast. This was such a mistake. He came up to my shoulder and weighed less than my left thigh, but I wish I had a photo with him anyway. He's raw talent.

I don't typically know musician's hometown or random facts about them, by the way. I don't really trace details. But Austin pops up often. I've never been there. I've often been told I should go. I perhaps should remedy that.

Today's song is from an Austin native, also. I hope you enjoy!

Dan Dyer - Love Chain

PS - Farrah was from Austin, also. She wasn't a musician, that I knew of, but she was a fine woman. So was Lady Bird, the better half of the Johnson's, in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment