Monday, April 7, 2014

April 7: Put Me In Coach

Today was just a typical Monday for me. But for many baseball fans, it's opening day. 

I never played softball as a kid. I always got to spend a week or so at my dad's each summer, and I never wanted to be tied to a sport and perhaps miss the opportunity to see him. As a result, I can't throw a softball at the side of a barn and hit it. 

We had a small baseball field with covered bleachers where I grew up. It was a wonderful community pastime to cheer on our team. Sweat running down your back. Sitting by giggling girls being silly. Hoping my make-up hadn't run and my hair was still big (it was the 80s). 

We have the iCubs here in Des Moines. I catch a game now and again, but nothing beats the memories made in those bleachers in Pomeroy. (Think PG now, kids. I was a good girl.)

This felt appropriate today. It tastes like Americana, doesn't it?

John Fogerty - Centerfield


No comments:

Post a Comment