Sunday, August 3, 2014

August 3: Lake Jefferson on Tap

Lately, my drinking water from the tap has tasted like a lake. I have two beverages of choice in life: coffee and water. Both require water which I generally get from my tap. It’s been a challenge to hydrate myself lately. I want to avoid the water, both for the taste and the memories it brings unbidden.

Lake water will always bring me back to southern Minnesota – Lake Jefferson. Every summer when I was young, my step-father’s family would rent rustic cabins on the lake. Oliver (my step-father), had vacationed there with his family since he was a kid. It was our only true vacation in youth. I did not appreciate it at the time.

The cabins were without air conditioning or restrooms. There were toilets in a separate outbuilding and two standalone shower stalls. The water smelled like it came directly from the lake. You had to wear flip flops even in the shower. It was guaranteed that a bevy of mosquitos and spiders would join you in both the bathroom and shower. I was always afraid to shampoo my hair – I wanted to keep my eyes open at all times. I’d shake out my towel before drying off. Inevitably something would crawl into it while I showered.

The lake was filled with bullheads and sunfish. There were a few fishing boats. We would go out at least once a day to catch fish. The rest of the time we spent trying to balance while standing on inner tubes on the lake, fishing from the dock, and reading books. As I got older, my older cousins and I would share coming of age tales.

Every night, one of the families was in charge of cooking the meal for everyone. We’d have at least one big fish fry during the stay. We’d all do various activities throughout the day, but gather together at dinner to share stories and big fish tales.

We’d go with Oliver’s parents, his sister and brother (and their spouses / children). As I type this, I feel like it should have been fun for me. We were incredibly poor when I was young, so having a vacation of any kind should have been a treat. There were other kids to play with. There was a lake to frolic in. I enjoyed fishing. I have always loved a boat ride. Bird watching. Picking wild flowers.

There were grandparents there – and family of any sort was rare after my parent’s divorced. We moved across the state and left my dad, all remaining grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, et al, behind. I became an island at 6.

Oliver’s parents were always kind to me. They inherited me when I was just a little first grader and we moved from McGregor to Cedar Falls. We stayed in a tiny home next to theirs while my step-father finished Methodist seminary. We were there six months before being assigned churches in Pomeroy. They had ice cream treats in their freezer for us, made us fritters (a fried type of pancake) with drizzles of brown sugar and syrup on top, and always had a hug. Grandpa wore those old school striped overalls every single day. Grandma always had a warm smile. They were good to me. Very good.

I guess sometimes even a parent can stand in the shadow of their child’s darkness. I did not have a good relationship with my step-father. I suspect the Lake Jefferson trips were so awful emotionally because it meant investing in Oliver’s family (and my heart never could open to them). It would have been an act of trust. Anything associated with Oliver was not allotted trust. Even tiny hearts can create constructs to protect themselves from pain.


Today, I’m going out to buy gallons of water to tide me over until our water treatment plant can correct whatever issue is occurring. I miss drinking water and coffee without feeling haunted by such sad memories. 


No comments:

Post a Comment