Monday, May 26, 2014

May 26: Memorial Day

Happy Memorial Day, all.

I hope you spent your day surrounded by family and/or friends. Aria and I ventured to the great state of Wisconsin for water park and family fun. 

Today was spent home in the garden. I could not be happier with my life. Truly I could not.

I posted this picture of my grandpa on Facebook today. 
I have a copy of it in my hallway and pass it every day. I love this picture because my grandpa was such a cat lover. He called cats "chids" for some reason, and openly adored them. 

I never paid attention to the cats in the picture until this morning. His two cats are very similar to our current cats, Baby Nay and Pixie Pye. This made me smile today.
 
He served in WWII. He was a proud member of his local Legion. He was the finest man I knew growing up. My grandpa had a sixth grade education and worked harder than anyone I've ever known. He was incredibly interested in world affairs and a die hard liberal who loved debating politics with those around him. 

He would help anyone in need, and had such a generous spirit. He felt safe to me in a childhood with few harbors from the storm. 


Grandpa passed away the summer before I got married. I grieved him not being at my wedding. I grieve far more that he never met my daughter, and that she never got to hear his laughter and feel his hugs.


All of our lives have been touched by veterans. I have immense gratitude for the gifts our freedoms afford us. Today I have held my grandpa and the other veterans I've known close to my heart.

Grandpa loved jazz. I think he'd approve of this choice. I wish I could hug him one more time.

Billie Holiday - The Very Thought of You



No comments:

Post a Comment