Sunday, September 7, 2014

September 7: Gnocchi Love

Let's talk food, can we? I stuffed an entire chicken in my crock pot today so that I could make chicken broth and shred the chicken for various uses throughout the busy work week. I do this often.

My first use of the chicken was a fabulous soup. I made a roux, mixed in celery, carrots and onion and let them sweat. Then added my chicken broth and some fresh herbs from the garden, letting them meld together for a bit over a low simmer.

I added milk and let everything thicken up, and then tossed in some of the chicken.

Here's my twist. I was going to make dumplings. I enjoy a good dumpling. But I found some mini gnocchi at World Market a few weeks ago. 

I love gnocchi. One of my very favorite dishes is a gnocchi and cheese recipe (kind of like mac n cheese but way, way better with fontina and gruyere and a spoonful of honey Dijon). I adore sweet potato gnocchi with olive oil, fresh rosemary and a smattering of Parmesan. Gnocchi with a fresh tomato sauce. Gnocchi.

I. Love. Gnocchi.

This soup was not earth shattering. But it was close.


Sometimes comfort comes in a bowl.

Ray LaMontagne - Three More Days

No comments:

Post a Comment