Sunday, September 21, 2014

September 20: The Dishwasher Saga

My dishwasher became clogged some months ago. The water wouldn't drain properly. It took me two failed cycles to finally acquiesce to washing the dishes by hand and draining out the bottom of the washer. It was a nasty task.

Because I'm a family of two and have a bevy of other places to spend my money, it felt indulgent beyond measure to have the dishwasher fixed.

It certainly is amazing how many dishes two gals can dirty in a given day. Boy howdy.

So after a few months of procrastination, I finally broke down and called a plumber to come and clear the drain.

It wasn't the drain that was clogged, the plumber informed me. It was the dishwasher itself that was broken. I might add that the plumber lacked in sparkling wit, and was accompanied by a mentee who lacked all social skills entirely. It was a dicey visit for me - one where I wish there were a rental service for fake husbands. I could have used back-up.

Fair enough. The drain is clear. The washer's broken. Boo and hiss to lose out on $100 to be told this but ok. Fine. 

Thanks for stopping. Please leave the premises without visiting my underwear drawer.

So I call an appliance fixer upper company. The appliance guy comes. He's downright congenial in comparison to my plumber. He confirms indeed the pump on the washer is broken, but it would take $300 to fix it and honestly I should just go buy a new washer. That will be, you guessed it, $100 please.

That visit hurt a bit. I won't lie. I'm $200 into nothing now.

But I'm not stopping. Now I deserve a new appliance. I can't spend $200 on nothing. It's a fact finding mission that must end in victory. 

A new dishwasher will be more efficient than this old one anyway. And it'll be brand spanking new. Gosh, I love plugging my money into the economy. Investing in shoes. And lovely wine. And fine dining on occasion.

Not on dishwashers.

But now I'm $200 into this and it's like a vendetta. So I go dishwasher shopping. Online. Because I'm like that.

I got a dishwasher. A Whirlpool, which sounds dishwasher-esque.  And was ranked well online. And boy did the customers who comment online like this guy. 

The day comes. I'm giddy. I sit at home with baited breath in my 4 hour delivery time slot. The dishwasher is delivered. The delivery man is friendly. All signs look good for installation.

Guess what?

The connection point requires a 3/8" connection. 

Mine is 1/2". No dice, lady. 

Buh-bye new dishwasher. Buh-bye nice delivery guy.

Hello again, plumber. $150 gets me a 3/8" connection point. And a female plumber this time, which I loved. We talked kids and work and life and how neither of us ended up where we thought we would. She was such a treat. 

Friday my new dishwasher came back for another installation attempt.

Victory!

1916 Craftsman: 27
Andrea: 1

Stevie Wonder - Isn't She Lovely


3 comments:

  1. Whoo-hoo!! Lovely indeed! And with your mad cooking skillz, I would have gone straight to new dishwasher to avoid those mountains of dishes by hand :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love stories with happy endings! It must be nice to work with a female plumber. There aren't many of them, so being able to discuss family and work while she was doing her job must had been a treat for you. More importantly, it must've been quite a relief to finally solve this dishwasher problem. I hope it doesn't act up that way ever again! Thanks for sharing!

    Diana Miller @ Plumber Perth

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've run it three times since installation. It brings me great joy! :) Thanks, ladies!!

    ReplyDelete