Monday, June 23, 2014

June 23: Hummus

I was eating sugar snap peas with hummus for lunch today, and had this visceral flashback to my college days. 

My college love, Jalal, introduced me to an abundance of experiences. One of those was making hummus in his dorm room. We'd stop by an Arabic grocer in Cedar Rapids to buy our ingredients, and then using an old camping can opener, a fork and a small plate, we'd blend it all together sitting on the floor of his room.

Crushed chick peas, tahini, fresh lemon juice, garlic, a dash of paprika. We'd dip fresh pita in it and nosh until it was gone. It was so, so good. 

His roommate (half Swedish / half Japanese) would be eating kimchi (which holy cow did that stink) and Jalal would throw in a can of sardines just to round out the sensory overload.

I stuck with the hummus. I would have bathed in it. I still would.

We sat in a small circle and talked about religion, love, adventures with friends, travels, how to swear in every conceivable language. I learned new worlds in those discussions. I learned that differences never feel as large when shared while breaking pita. I learned love.

Simple foodie pleasures. Simple memories. The very best.

Everything But The Girl - Missing

No comments:

Post a Comment