Saturday, July 12, 2014

July 12: Des Moines Music Scene

It may surprise you to learn that Des Moines has a fantastic music scene. And I do mean fantastic.

Summertime brings 80/35, Nightfall on the River, the Des Moines Art Festival (10,000 Maniacs played it this year; last year I caught Los Lobos) and last night, I stopped in to check out Music Under the Canopy for the first time. This isn't even touching on music in the bars, via the public piano project, or at the coffee houses. 

It can be a challenge to select which live music to take in on a given night. 

Last night did not disappoint. Music Under the Canopy was held diagonally from Wells Fargo Arena, where Motley Crew and Alice Cooper happened to be playing. Did I regret skipping the Crew to take in Iowa talent? Nope. No, I did not.

BeJae Fleming kicked off the evening. She has stories to tell that make you think a cold beer and a long spell at a bar sitting next to her would be perfect fodder for happiness.

Susan Werner played with our own James Biehn. Her songs were hilarity with a razor's edge of truth, heartfelt, timely, pure. If I had an internal tuning fork that hummed at perfect pitch whenever I met an artist that I "get", I bone deep get, that'd be Susan. Loved learning her music. Loved watching James shine on guitar next to her. Bonita Crowe joined them for a trio of Did Trouble Me that was perfect. Just perfect.

Greg Brown wrapped up the evening with Bo Ramsey to his right. These men are so smooth that river rocks look jagged in comparison. They woo me with techniques honed by years of dedication and artistry that you cannot learn through years of anything but bone deep, heartfelt experience.

Musical love. I am in musical love.




No comments:

Post a Comment